February 2, 2012

Thanksday #51

I've seen a few new trends that seem to have popped up out of nowhere…I read about them all over Twitter and various blogs, and now I feel behind the 8-ball.

The first is the show Downtown Abbey. Who watches it? Because all I hear these days is how great a show it is, and how everyone watches it, and I've yet to see it. And I hate feeling left out when it comes to new shows. So now I have to set the DVR.

The second is a trending topic about First World Problems. As in, "The hot water ran out in the shower. #firstworldproblems."Or, "There's someone sitting in my chair at Starbucks. First World Problems." I've never considered the possibility that we could label daily American inconveniences as such, but I think I like it. I'll have to test it out a couple times to see how it feels.

Incidentally, I left my laptop's power cord at home and the battery is now down to 44%. (First World Problems.)

You'll be pleased to hear (or maybe you could not care less) that this week has been much better than last week. I think I figured out what contributed to my Cybill-esque demeanor, and while PMS might have played a part, there was also some testing from the Lord going on. You know how if you pray for patience God actually places you in situations that test your patience?

Well.

As you may know, I'm currently doing a weekly blog based on our church's current sermon series. It's called "Identity Theft," and is based on how we let Satan steal our true identity instead of standing firm in who our identity is in Christ. Anyone who knows me well knows I struggle with insecurity (and "struggle" is an epic understatement). So naturally, since I'm blogging about finding identity in Christ, God is saying:

"Do you really believe this? Do you think you're acting this out daily? Because I know for a fact you're not. So here -- I'm giving you AMPLE opportunities to walk this out. Are you going to allow gentle critique or disagreements to define your worth and value as a human being? What about now? And what about now?"

I love how He has more faith in me than I have in myself.

After the FOURTH opportunity to react properly…I think I'm starting to get it. Or at least I'm recognizing the root of my reactions and working on stuffing my flesh back down into place instead of letting it get all bent out of shape.

So I'm thankful for that.

I'm also thankful this week for:

2. Girl's Night. Even though it took days of finding a restaurant open on a weeknight in the winter in the mountains, we did it. And it was fun. (First World Problems.)

3. All Alone in My Bed. Greg was away one night this week. Now don't get me wrong...I miss him desperately when he's gone. I'd always much rather always have him here. HOWEVER, if he is going to be gone, I don't mind a bit sleeping in the bed alone. Because there's something luxurious about sleeping smack in the middle of a king-sized bed. And you can bet I take up every single square inch of it, too.

4. Guard Dog. I have to admit I slept better while Greg was gone knowing Luke would bark like crazy should anything happen. At least I hope he would. Since he barks like crazy at the construction trucks, I'm assuming this would happen.

5. Raising of the Roof. Paxton's new thing is to tell Jaana to "raise the roof, Sissa!" when an upbeat song comes on. And that is joy complete.

6. February 7. It doesn't come until Tuesday, but I'm thankful already. It'll be the ninth anniversary of the most favorite day of my life -- marrying the man of my dreams. I'm usually tempted to think back to that day and focus on all I wish I would have done differently (like a different dress, for example)…but then I realize the wedding day isn't nearly as important as the marriage. And I love my marriage. I got the best man, ladies. Sorry.

7. "Drastic" Hair Changes. I'm being ironical. I got my hair done while in The Big City last weekend (thank God!) and decided to go one shade darker than my usual color. Primarily because I'm afraid the really blonde looks like I'm trying too hard. And as 40 is making its slow and steady crawl toward me, I thought something a wee more natural would look better. So I did a shade darker. And while a shade isn't much, but Greg declared it "drastic!" even though "drastic!" is what his hair is after using a 1-guard on his head just days before. But he likes it, and I like it. So we're good. (First World Problems.)

8. Chick-Fil-A. We don't have one here where we live, so going to The Big City means we stop there pretty much once a day. I got my Cookies & Cream milkshake fix and was happy camper.

9. Dance Class. Jaana started a jazz and tap class this week, and loves it. I love seeing her happy…participating in activities that light her up from the inside out. I'm still amazed at how my once painfully shy girl loves performing.

10. Grown-Up Moisturizer. I finally bit the bullet and bought moisturizer that cost more than $6.99. Here's to hoping it helps.


Your turn! Let me know what you're thankful for this week and share the love. Leave a comment below or link up with Candra. It'll help you recognize that your First World Problems are really not problems at all.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've clicked over a few times from Candra's page and enjoy reading your thankfuls!!

Hate it when I can't get it to let me comment as my real logged in name ...First World Problems ;)

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear you are having a better week. Also glad to hear that I am not the only slow learner where God is concerned.

I too, love those occasions when you get the bed alone. I am a very light sleeper and so is my hubby. I always feel like I affect his quality of sleep.

I giggled out loud thinking about Paxton saying "raise the roof". Too cute!

You know I have a deep love/devotion/appreciation for Chick-fil-A. :)

Candra Georgi said...

well since all my kiddos and hubs are vomiting and we are just laying around watching a lot of curious george, i might have to finally start watching downtown abby on my laptop or something. everyone on facebook is talking about it. when my pastor did---i knew---i had to! ha ha

and i love first world problems like when your power cord is in the kitchen and you're already comfy on the couch

finally---

you is smart. you is pretty. you is important.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...