This post is sponsored by the word "grumpy."
This hasn't been my week. It vacillated back-and-forth between physical exhaustion and emotional exhaustion. I've felt a little Jekyll and Hyde, if you want to know the truth.
Jekyll: Over the weekend, I was talking with a friend about her dreams and goals, and she was telling me where God was leading her. As she shared, I was taunted with whispers of "you could never do that,"and "she's more talented," and "you might as well give up on your dreams now."
Hyde: Saturday night, Paxton threw up three times in the car on the way home from dinner. Which kept me home from church on Sunday.
Jekyll: The next day, something happened that really hurt my feelings (because I'm too sensitive), which led to more whispers.
Hyde: Paxton was up from 11 pm -4 am on Monday night. Which kept me home from my plans on Tuesday.
Jekyll: Another something happened that hurt my feelings, which led to even more whispers. (And at this point I'm wondering I'm simply suffering from a good old-fashioned case of PMS.)
Hyde: Greg came home with a cold-turned-sinus infection and fever.
Welcome to my Pity Party. Would you like a slice of cake? We also have a goodie bag for you to take home. It includes Midol, massive amounts of chocolate and a mirror with two faces.
What I'm thankful for this week:
1. Breathe Right Strips. They are so very, very sexy. The perfect accessory to my Paul Frank flannel PJ pants and oversized hooded sweatshirt for bed. However...never, ever, ever have I ever slept as good as I sleep now using these strips. I now sleep like a normal person. And I don't wake up feeling like I licked up sawdust off the floor. And I wake up without a headache. If you know anything about me, you know how much I love sleep. Healthy, proper sleep is icing on the bed.
2. Coffee. Because Paxton was up Monday night. And my Breathe Right strips alone couldn't help me through that.
3. 24 Hours. Because it's at this time tomorrow I'll be in the midst of a long, long, LONG overdue hair appointment. Goodbye Amanda Woodward roots, circa Melrose. It's been real. (Real ugly!)
4. Having a Puppy. Listen. All the people that tell you having a puppy is just like having a baby are DEAD WRONG. I won't even begin to pretend they are close to the same thing, because they are not the same AT ALL. Why? Because after two weeks, my dog sleeps through the night. And I remember quite vividly (and still with some lingering resentment), that it took both my kids about four months to accomplish that feat. And I don't have to change his diapers. And he doesn't cry for no reason. And he feeds himself. And entertains himself. So while there are a separate set of frustrations (and joys!), I'm grateful for just puppy-hood right now.
5. A Happy Progress Report. We had Jaana's parent-teacher meeting yesterday where we reviewed her progress thus far this quarter. Her grades are great, and her behavior is wonderful. Greg, the ever-focused leadership guru, basically interrupted the teacher and one point, and said (in so many words), "Yeah, yeah…she has good grades. That's all well and good. But is she a good leader?!" And he was thrilled to hear that yes, she's a good leader. He walked away a happy daddy.
6. AZUR Jazz. It's a French radio station I listen to on iTunes. And when they do announcements and updates in French, je fonds comme le beurre sur un croissant (translation: I melt like butter on a croissant). (And one of these days, I'll be able to say that without using my translation app.)
7. Open Sunroof. We had some uncharacteristically warm weather this week (to which Jaana and I grumbled since we're dying for enough snow to go sledding). But, it was quite nice to open the sunroof and drive with the music loud and the sun shining on our faces. Yes, it was nice indeed.
8. Small Group. I'm very much enjoying our small group. We meet twice a month, and the group consists of couples from different seasons and walks. But it's fun and we're learning a lot from each other. And growing closer together. It's a pretty special little group.
9. Girl's Weekend. There's this little group of five of us that used to be tight-knit. We'd get together for fun, for prayer, for support. Then one of us moved to Nashville (ahem-Supa C) and then another of us moved to North Carolina (ahem-me), and life interrupted and we haven't seen each other all together in years. But just this week, we finally confirmed a girl's weekend together! It's not until June, but I'm very (VERY) excited about it, and wish it were sooner. I miss them all like crazy, and miss our times together even more.
10. More Writing. I've recently had the opportunity to do more writing, which has been a much-needed outlet for me. It's really pumping my creative juices and helping me resolve things internally. It's so funny how the more you do something, the more you want to do it. Unless it's cleaning or cooking or laundry. You know.
Your turn! Let me know what you're thankful for this week and share the love. Leave a comment below or link up with Candra. It'll ease your PMS symptoms and help you breathe better at night. For shizzle.