August 9, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things


About 15 years ago, I got the book 14,000 Things to be Happy About by Barbara Ann Kipfer. The book isn’t a narrative or a story, just simply a stream-of-consciousness list approximately 700 pages long of random, uncategorized things to be happy about. Whenever I was feeling blue, I would pull out the book and highlight things that made me smile. The book contained wonderful little gems such as:
  1. -the cool underside of a pillow
  2. -riding in the basket of your bike
  3. -construction paper
  4. -Kennebunkport, Maine
  5. -french cuffs
I’ve been a tad stressed lately. My dad’s getting ready to move back to Washington permanently, Jaana’s about to start 1st grade (when did that happen??) and we’re moving into another place this week (which as of this moment is only 90% confirmed). And with the fears I’ve had coupled with the stress, I finally hit my threshold and had a mini-meltdown yesterday. I gave myself permission to have a pity party (with streamers and party hats and balloons!), then had some good prayer time and a long run. As the song goes, “even in the hard times, even when I feel pain, I’ve made up my mind I’m gonna praise him anyway.” My outlook improved considerably.

As I was running, that old book came to my mind, and I decided to accentuate the positive and try to move that rubber tree plant with some high hopes. I started mentally listing the things that make me smile, and decided this would be a “Merry Monday” posting of sorts. So, lists part deux...away we go!
  1. -a sudden gust of wind during a long, hot run
  2. -the sound of Paxton laughing at Jaana
  3. -a good sports bra
  4. -lemons, fuji apples and red seedless grapes
  5. -date nights
  6. -a full tank of gas and a clean car
  7. -nude toenail polish
  8. -an unexpected & encouraging message from a friend
  9. -Greg bringing home flowers
  10. -not being in Egypt anymore, Toto
  11. -girls’ weekends
  12. -fried green beans with wasabi ranch from Cornucopia
  13. -stovetop espresso makers
  14. -the way Jaana says “yo-gret” and “ord-a-ment”
  15. -blog entries by Beth Moore
  16. -family members willing to drive up at a moment’s notice
  17. -olive tapenade
  18. -going to the grocery store at 7 am
  19. -“Break My Stride” by Matthew Wilder
  20. -school and office supplies
  21. -sharing inside jokes with Greg
  22. -Hilton Head Island
Greg likes to call me Silver, because I will find the silver lining in whatever situation we’re facing. The first words out of my mouth whenever something negative happens are usually, “Well, at least...” And when there’s good news and bad news, I always want the bad news first so we can end with the good. So I’ve vented my fears, had my pity party and now I’m ready to eliminate the negative!

So what about you? What are some things that make you happy? Let’s end today with a smile.

“A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face.”
(Prov 15:13, MSG)

3 comments:

Mary Dews said...

<3 I love this blog!!! You have such a nice way of looking on the bright side of things =] I love you. The whole Steely family ALWAYS makes me happy.

Candra Georgi said...

1. Life is Good clothing for my kids & husbands [shirts look unflattering on me]
2. love notes on the fridge
3. shade at a park
4. friendly people in a new city
5. two bite brownies [that take 3 bites]
6. all things Apple
7. amazon.com [free prime shipping]
8. children who get adopted
9. sharing
10. the cool of the evening during summer
11. Monica Steely's blog

Candra Georgi said...

i said "husbands" ha ha
well that's nothing to be happy about---one is enough trouble of it's own

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...