February 18, 2008

Big House in the Cul-de-Sac

Little House on the Prairie: Where Are They Now? It was a wonderfully relaxing night. Due to the storm, our power went out. At 7:15 pm. No light, no TV, no computer. The best Sabbath rest one could hope for on a Sunday evening. Greg, Jaana & I sat on the couch and laughed, played and had great quality time...by candlelight. We got Jaana off to bed with only her Minnie Mouse book light to ease her fears of the dark. Then Greg & I sat in candlelit silence as we read -- he with a flashlight perched on his shoulder; me with my much younger and clearer vision by a soy candle illuminating the pages. Around 9:15, we decided to give it up and go to bed. At 9:15 pm! It was "Little House on the Prairie" circa 2008. I woke up at 6:am to do my devotions. I felt rested and refreshed. Awake and alive (as much as I can without my first cup of coffee, anyway!). Last night was a great test of how much we (I) rely on technology to live. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. But when it gets to the point that a power outage is a major inconvenience rather than a minor irritation, then it's a problem. Last night was rich to me -- totally focused quality time, building memories of being cuddled together, laughing in the dark. No TV barking in the background; no email summoning me to check for "just a second;" no phone reprimanding me for not returning calls. Just pure quiet. Pure rest. I love it. I welcomed it. I think Laura Ingalls and I would have had a fantastic friendship.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...